Best 12 Inch Sliding Compound Miter Saw Review | 2020 Best Buying Guide Review
Every workshop has a novelty item on which the solemn purpose of the workshop lies. In case of wood workers, this stapled item is a miter saw. Thanks to the ability of the miter saw to make cuts at any given angle, it is one of the most common and most widely accepted tool that woodworkers use.
As any good handyman knows, your tools are the most important part of the job. Without the right tools, ones that work effectively and efficiently, your job is so much more difficult and uselessly laborious. A good miter saw offers excellent features that work well for trim pieces like crown molding. For instant with the sliding feature, you can also handle larger widths for your work pieces.
Why Use A Miter Saw?
If woodworking is your profession or you are just a hobbyist it is will always be important to invest in a good miter saw because it will make your work easier. A miter saw will allow you to cut a precise angle on the end of your wood piece. They offer you distinct advantages when working with wood. Miter saw will allow you to make precise and accurate cuts repeatedly. By using the miter saw, the amount of time you can save is immeasurable.
This can be critical for those working on projects with similar dimensioned wood. You can get a miter saw in a variety of sizes. There are two sizes that are the most popular, the 10-inch and the 12-inch miter saws are the two most common sizes you will come across in a woodworker’s shop. The first and presumably the most important decision that you need to make is whether to go for a 10-inch or 12-inch miter saw. Both are very helpful for woodworking but are also suitable for different purposes and situations.
Although their blade size is their main difference, there are many things that you need to understand before you make your pick.
Best 12-Inch Miter Saw Overview:
12-inch miter saws are a must-have for more ambitious, larger projects, however. They can cut bigger, harder pieces of wood and stand up to regular heavy use. Of course, they also cost more. The disadvantage of 12” is its weight and the other con is a deflection of the blade; a 12″ blade will deflect more, which matters a lot more while cutting for furniture when framing a deck.
If you are buying slider miter saw, you can go with a 10” smaller blade saw without too many regrets and If it’s not, go with 12″. A 12″ sliding compound miter saw doesn’t buy you much. You’re better off with a 10″ SCMS, less blade deflection and more accurate cuts than a 12″. For most homeowners, a 10-inch miter saw is probably your best option. They’re cheaper, take up less space, and produce smoother cuts.
These saws are also best for those with smaller jobs like cabinet making and smaller trim. You can buy a 10” slider which has all the features like dual arbor adjustments, set table angles, motor brake etc.
What Makes The 10 Inch Saw Special?
A 10-inch blade will also spin faster than a 12-inch one. Usually, both size saws have the same size motor, resulting in the smaller, lighter blade spinning faster. This faster speed leads to a finer finish and faster cutting time. Many 10-inch miter saws are also compatible with a table saw blades which means you can grab a blade off of your table saw and use it for your miter saw. 10-inch miter saws are usually cheaper than 12-inch ones.
They are also lighter and smaller, allowing them to fit into small workspaces and be more portable. One of the most important things is the depth of the cut while cutting high moldings such as tall baseboards or large crown. So you can buy new 10-inch slider saws have that capability. 10-inch blades are also easier to find because 10-inch saws are more popular.
You can usually find a 10-inch blade in just about any style for a good price. If you buy a 10-inch slider it will give you the same cutting capacity as 12 inch and blades are less expensive too. For obvious reasons, it is also cheaper to have a 10-inch blade sharpened than it is to have a 12-inch blade sharpened. Smaller blades also tend to wobble and deflect less option than larger blades.
While this is not typically that big of a problem, it is something to keep in mind. One of the best thing about 10” is you can cut molding up to 12″ when working on a flat table and using the bevel and sliding feature
What Makes The 12 Inch Saw Special?
A larger saw can also cut through larger pieces of wood. With a 12-inch saw blade, you’ll be able to cut through 4x6s in just one pass. They’re also ideal for any harder materials like plywood, which tend to come in larger sizes anyway. They’re just larger and more powerful, which can mean steep price increases.
The blades are also pricier and cost more to sharpen, leading to less money in your pocket over time. However, 12-inch miter saws usually host powerful, 15-amp motors. This means more power, and more power means you can cut harder materials. Some 12-inch saws are also compatible with 10- inch blades. A 15-amp motor spinning a 10-inch blade creates insanely fine, smooth cuts. Since they’re designed for heavy-duty cutting, 12-inch saws are usually more durable and tend to last longer.
10 Inch Vs 12 Inch Miter Saw:
10-Inch Miter Saw:
Since the 10-inch blade is small it will not be subject to a lot of deflection, and it does not wobble a lot unlike with the larger ones it also tends to produce more precise cuts and so when making cuts that require a lot of accuracy like when working on an interior trim, it is one of the best options
- The 10-inch blades are also cheaper than the 12-inch ones. Although there are some that can be more expensive in general they are cheaper and so the 10-inch miter saw is both cheap to buy and own. significant advantage is, the cost of sharpening them is lower than what you pay for a 12-inch blade one which a when doing woodworking projects on a tight budget.
- Most table saws come with a 10-inch blade, and so it is possible to switch blades between any two machines or just have one for both of them. 10-inch miter saws are smaller than the 12-inch ones. And this makes them very portable, and so they are perfect for use in different locations. Considering the space issues, let me tell you that the 10-inch miter saws do not take up a lot of space and are easy to carry from one place to another.
- The 10-inch blade is easier to find than the 12-inch blade, and so you will always have an easier time when you need a replacement. Most stores will have a large selection of 10-inch blades, and so you can always be sure of finding something for your particular miter saw. This availability means that you will never have to stop or delay your project to shop for a new blade.
It will not be very suitable as you have to keep turning the material to make the cut because This saw can cut up to 6 inches of material. So if you are undertaking a massive project like replacing a deck, the 10-inch miter saw is not the tool for the job.
12-Inch Miter Saw:
Most 12-inch miter saws can also accommodate the 10-inch blade if you need to use one which makes then quite versatile. Moreover, a 12-inch miter saw can do all the cuts that the 10-inch one makes but the vice versa is not true. so this means that you can get the benefit of many revolutions from the 10- inch blade and the power of a 12-inch blade in one saw. Thus making the 12-inch miter saw an ideal and handy tool to have at home for both small and big woodworking projects.
- It will remain sharp for long and also lasts longer due to the high amperage of the 12-inch saw means that it does not have to strain as hard as the 10-inch one to make a cut or go through a piece of wood. the 12-inch miter saw never has to struggle when making a cut.
- This saw has a maximum cutting width of 12 inches which it can make in two passes, and it can cut a 4 by 6 piece of wood in a single pass, and so it helps to speed up your projects. A 12-inch miter saw is always the best for larger projects, and the main reason for this is its ability to cut or work with dense materials
- Most 12-inch miter saws produce a higher tooth speed because it has a very powerful motor. This saw has a bigger blade which means when using this saw more teeth on the blade will be touching the material at any particular time, making you job easy and fast. What all this means is that The massive amounts of power that you get with this tool will increase your cutting efficiency and hence help you work faster than when using the 10-inch saws.
- 12-inch miter saws are in most instances more expensive than the 10-inch ones. Not only that but the large motor on a 12-inch saw consumes a lot of energy Apart from the original cost of buying the saw, replacement blades are also expensive, and so it has a high cost of ownership.
Top 10 Best 12 Inch Sliding Compound Miter Saw Review:
You should be able to operate it at this speed without experiencing any wobble on the blade that could compromise the cutting edge or saw itself. The motor used by Dewalt on this 12-inch miter saw generates 15 amps, enough power to produce 3,800 RPMs under optimal circumstances. This should be enough speed to allow you to make deep cuts into the heavier stock while still producing a smooth surface where the blade passes.
- There is a dust collection system that helps to gather up to 75-percent of the debris generated with each cut
- The back fence has been designed to provide support while giving plenty of clearance for the blade at all adjustment angles
- DeWalt provides you with a three-year limited warranty on this power tool
- This unit does not include a laser guide or other component for aligning your cuts, which is a bit surprising at this price point
- You will find yourself paying more for this model due to the DeWalt name and the warranty that the company offers on the product itself.
DEWALT DWS709 12 inch
The Dewalt DWS709 has a proper design to offer precise cuts and Handles a variety of jobs. It generates enough power that makes cutting of complex materials easier. You will, therefore, save on time and energy, and you can accomplish several tasks in less time.
For mobile artisans, this is an added advantage as you can easily transport this product and still retain energy for your project. Plus, the bevel adjustments are seamless.
Bosch 12-Inch Dual Bevel Miter Saw (GCM12SD)
It is compact, saving your up to 12-inches of table space while supplying adequate support to your project. The stand out feature on this product is the axial glide system. The gliding system runs smoothly through the entire cut and allows far greater width in your crosscuts than similar-sized models. Its dust extraction tubing is above the table and bends towards the back of the miter saw.
- Each of the scales and bevels are easy to read with a comfortable print that can be seen against the body of the miter saw
- Its sliding capacity extends the total cutting size of the saw to 14-inches along the slide, allowing you to work on wider stock
- Almost all of your major adjustment points have been located along the front of the saw, making it easier to adjust the controls as you work
- There are a lot of areas that can become filled with sawdust on this particular model
- A smaller work surface may take a while to get used to for many users that are not used to the compact design
Hitachi C12RSH2 12-Inch
The Hitachi brand is also another premium name in the business, and they’re known to make very durable miter saws. The sliding system is very compact, and the way the saw head slides along the fixed rails removes 12 extra inches from the footprint of the unit. With the sliding fence feature, you can work on crown molding measuring up to 7.5 inches. The miter angle range to the left is 45 degrees, and to the right it reaches up to 57 degrees.
It also offers a wide range of bevel cuts, with up to 45 degrees on both the left and right sides. you usually have a decent warranty period. During that time, you’ll appreciate the various benefits offered by the C12RSH2 design. It’s equipped with a 15-amp motor, so you have the power and the large b-l-a-d-e to deal with thicker and larger pieces It’s very easy to make bevel and miter adjustments, since the scales are large and easy to read.
You also get greater accuracy for your cuts because of the built-in laser marker. The elastomer grip makes it soft to the touch, and it even reduces the level of the vibrations that reach your hand. That’s why This miter saw is also very comfortable and easy to hold. This is a great choice for many, as it’s very dependable, useful, and easy to use. Just double check the warranty period, so you can confirm how long it’s supposed to last
- The laser is adjustable Which speeds up your work. Furthermore
- Works well without slowing down
- In contract with most saws, the HITACHI saw is backed up on a wall.
- Produces no noise when in use thus more comfortable
- Moving it from one place to another is hectic.
- The dust bag does not collect dust according to the clients’ expectations. Most users come up with their dust collection methods
Skil 12-Inch Miter Saw (3821-01)
The handle and the locking mechanism are easy to operate and can be used with just one hand by most people. Skil has included nine positive stops on this miter saw, allowing you to quickly set popular angles you might use on your project. Finger knobs used to tighten the table extensions in place may be more difficult to tighten without working loose over time
- Skil has designed the miter saw with a quick connect element that will allow you to mount the saw quickly to your work surface
- Table extensions have been added to the left and to the right side of the blade, offering extra support for your work piece as you make the cut
- Woodworkers on a budget will appreciate the lower price point found on this particular model
- Thin metal bars used for the table extensions on this unit may increase the vibration through the wood as you make a cut
- The dust collection bag included with this model is rather small and will fill up quickly with sawdust
DeWalt 12-Inch Miter Saw with Xps Cutline (DWS716XPS)
The location on the back of the handle will help to prevent sawdust or other debris from blocking the LED light as you work. An XPS cut line system makes use of LED lighting placed in the bottom of the saw handle. A horizontal orientation on the control handle provides you with a comfortable grip that is secure through the entire cut, including the lowest position at the end of your cut. This will allow you to accurately line up the saw blade with your marked cut line before you bring the saw down to cut
- The detent plate is made from stainless steel and should last you a long time without wearing out
- Your bevel gauge is marked with high-contrast black letters on a yellow plate, making this easy to read
- Left and right bevels can be made at angles from 0 to 48-degrees with four positive stops on each side for quick adjustments
- A few of the components are made from lighter materials that reduce weight but may not stand up as well to damage during use
- It comes with miter detent override that may be somewhat difficult to adjust without slippage
Milwaukee 6955-20 12″ Sliding Dual Bevel Miter Saw
The Milwaukee 6955-20 12-Inch Sliding Dual Bevel Miter Saw features a miter angle fine adjust with detent override which makes it simple to dial-in precise miter angles. A soft-start system slowly ramps up the electric compound miter saw’s power for greater control and safety when you first activate it. Constant power technology keeps the blade spinning fast even under high-demand situations.
The 12inch Dual-Bevel Sliding Compound Miter Saw includes a digital angle meter readout that displays your miter accurately up to 0.1 degrees for high-precision work. This saw’s 15-amp motor achieves up to 3.3 hp to make quick cuts in the toughest lumber pieces. This dual bevel compound miter saw adjusts both ways so that you can make cuts in both sides of a piece without flipping it over.
An integrated work light illuminates the piece over the cut line so that you get safer and more precise cuts. The fine adjust allows for single hand operation; (1) hand on material, (1) hand making fine adjustment. The miter angle fine adjust features a self-zeroing system and it works on the ENTIRE miter angle range. Also features dual integral jobsite lights that fully illuminate the work piece and cut line from either side of the blade.
The Milwaukee 6955-20 12-Inch Sliding Dual Bevel Miter Saw contains an integral dust channel that captures up to 75% of the dust and debris cut by capturing dust near the cut on both sides of the blade and directing it to the back of the saw. This maximizes airflow and allows waste to flow through the back elbow and into waste container. The result in the Best Dust Collection in the Industry! This saw has an oversized single lever bevel adjustment with (9) positive bevel stops which allows the saw to easily bevel left and right 0 degrees 48 degrees
TACKLIFE Sliding Compound Miter Saw 12-Inch, 15-Amp, 3800rpm, Double-Bevel Cut (-45°-0°-45°) with Laser Guide, Extensible Table, Dust Bag, 40T 305mm Blade for Wood Cut – PMS03A
This 12-inch miter saw has a powerful Motor & comes with a laser Guide. The 15 Amp motor delivers 3800rpm per minute for efficient cuts and extended durability. Integrated laser controlled by single switch, marking the cutting line, supporting for sawing long work pieces. Sliding cutting design for added cutting width. The efficient Dust Collection System – Efficient dust collection bag captures over 70% of dust generated. 35mm dust port allows you to connect your vacuum cleaner for ideal 100% dust collection to maintain a clean environment.
The package includes a TACKLIFE PMS03A Miter saw, 40 Tooth TCT Blade, 1 Set Carbon Brush, 2 Extension Rods, Allen Wrenches, Dust Bag, 1 Set Clamping System, User Manual, 24 Months Card. Its double bevel cutting design allows you to adjust the head to left 45and right 45to meet different requirements of cutting job.
The cutting capacity of this sliding miter saw is (90×90- 105x335mm)/(90×45-105x235mm)/(90x45L-60x335mm)/(90x45R-35x335mm)/(45x45L60x235mm)/(45x45R-35x235mm). 40 T Blade & Extensible Table – 305mm 40tooth TCT blade for smoother wood, plastic tube, soft metal cuts. Comes with allen wrenches for easy blade change. Large working table for better material support, vice clamping system to secure work piece for safer cutting operation.
DEWALT 12-Inch Sliding Compound Miter Saw, Double Bevel (DWS780)
The DeWALT 12-inch Double Bevel Sliding Compound Miter Saw makes precise and accurate cuts, and is durable enough for heavier work, with a 56-pound frame. Using the XPS cross cut positioning system allows for accurate previews before the sliding miter saw touches the material. This double Bevel Compound Miter Saw is powered by a 15A 3,600 RPM and offers a new precise miter system and machined base fence support for optimal accuracy.
This dual bevel miter saw is . constructed for easy, hassle free use saw’s capacities are miter 0 to 60 degree left, 0 to 50 degree right, bevel 0 to 48 degree left and right, cross cuts 2 x 14 on 90 degree and miters 2 x 10 on 45 degrees, base capacity 6 1/2″ left and right with a crown capacity of 6 5/8″. Carbide blade, dust bag, wrench and manual, 90-day money back guarantee, one-year service, three year limited warranty and accessory DW7187 adjustable miter saw laser system included. The back fence design cuts 2-inch x 16-inch lumber at 90 degrees and 2-inch x 12-inch at 45 degrees. The sliding fences on this double bevel miter saw cut crown molding up to 7.5 inches and base molding to 6.5 inches. The cable is kept clear of the blade, fed backward to prevent accidents. The cam lock miter handle gives a quick and solid lock without twisting the miter handle.
Before you make a final decision of buying the right model, it is important to consider some important points. The following tips will help you select the most suitable miter saw. The size saw you need Normally, a 10-inch blade is cheaper as compared to a 12 inch this because of it smaller radius this allows it to spin faster using low electricity cost, it also have fewer blades which Is easier to sharpen for smooth cuttings.
Basically the blades come in two different sizes a 10-inch and a 12-inch depending on the use, but 10-inch blade is better due to the above mentioned reasons. A 12-inch blade comes in handy when you need longer cuts the disadvantages comes in since it needs more power due to longer cuts or cutting thicker woods, but despite of that it provides a shaper cuts as compared to a 10-inch blade.
The purpose of the saw It is having greater advantages if the miter saw you are buying a laser beam technology; it comes handy when cutting it provides a sharp line in form of a red light ray on the surface you cutting which helps you to have a quick and accurate cut. Different blades are used for different purpose for example when you need simple cuts with specific angles all you need is a compound saw.
Compound saw enables you to move right to left this makes cutting easy. Another type of saw is the sliding miter saw this moves in forward and backward direction which enables you to increase the size of the cut so this type of saw is good for deep cuts. Dust collecting ports Some miter saw have the dust collecting feature which is connected to the saw to help you have clean workspace. It also helps in removing dust from the machine hence prolonging the machines life.
Tooth count If you want rough cuts you may go with low tooth count but if you want a high quality and smooth finish cut you may go for high tooth count. Safety You can look for features like fence guard and electric brakes among others that assure you of a safe operation. Because many accidents take place when woodworkers are working with power tools. If you want to enjoy a safe use, consider a miter saw that is equipped with safety features.
You should know that a miter saw can be a dangerous tool to use so it should be equipped with the necessary safety features. Final Verdict As you can see, if you do need a larger blade for your sliding compound miter saw then you have several excellent options to choose from. Any of these models can make your life a lot easier when you’re working on your woodcutting projects with the best 12 inch miter saw in your workshop, the work gets done faster and better